Wednesday, September 09, 2015

How the name came to be

Naming one's boat is a sensitive matter, said SGBoating's Eric Koh. Although he has sold his fair share of boats and doled out advice to new owners, he said this has always been the point he would gingerly step away from his customers, unwilling to become involved in what has sometimes become a rather ... uh... tetchy spat between co-owners over the boat's name.

A check online showed no shortage of websites with suggested boat names, stories of how folks came up with their boat names and the pitfalls of choosing unfortunate names. Imagine for example, your boat is named Party Hardy or Drunk Again, and just when everyone on board is kinda happy, in good spirits (nudge, wink), the Coast Guard comes by... Drinking driving rules apply out at sea too.

One site sagely advised: "The name you pick for your boat will reflect to others a little about you - about your intellect (or lack thereof), your worldliness (or lack thereof) and your sense of humour."

C and I just let the matter lie for a week or two. I suggested that the name ought to hint at our profession, which has - truth be told - paid us enough for us to be able to plonk down good money for this. How about something along the lines of Offstoned, or something to do with deadlines. He baulked.

Why don't you name the boat after me, I demanded petulantly once. (He gave me a look that could only be interpreted as: "You've really over-reached on that one.")

J1's suggestion came all the way from Sydney, where he's in school, and cracked everyone up. Usain Boat, he said, conveys a sense of speed, which, he was sure, the boat was capable of ...  Needless to say, C vetoed that.

I asked Dr Google for a list of song titles with a reference to the sea. Nothing seemed to hit the spot.

Then C said: "What about Little Wanderer?" Death Cab For Cutie's song speaks of a longing ache for a lover terminally hit by wanderlust. Hear the song and see the video here.

Here, the first verse and chorus:

You sent a photo out your window in Tokyo
Told me you were doing fine
You said the cherry blossoms were blooming
And that I was on your mind
But I couldn't make you out through the glitches
It's how it always seems to go
So we say our goodbyes over Messenger
As the network overloads
When the network overloads


You're my wanderer, little wanderer
Off across the sea
You're my wanderer, little wanderer
Won't you wander back to me
Back to me 


Perfect. We had the name.



No comments:

Post a Comment